Shrink Wrap Machines, Does Your Business Need One?
Shrink wrap machines prepare a pallet for freight shipping. A shrink wrap machine may be a great investment for a company if they ship freight regularly. A shrink wrap machine will save time and helps reduce freight shipping claims as an added benefit.
Shrink wrap machines come in many different varieties. However, they do range in price from a few hundred dollars for a manual portable shrink wrapper to a few thousands of dollars for an L Bar Sealer that can handle high volume shrink packaging.
Types of shrink wrappers
- Straight-bar shrink wrappers – Manual, low volume shrink wrap machine. Typically used to package CDs, DVDs, & Books.
L-bar sealers – Another low volume shrink wrap machine best used with small items. Unlike straight-bar shrink wrappers, L-bar sealers use electrical impulses to cut the film. They come in both – manual or automatic. L-Sealers use shrink wrap film on rolls and a heat gun to shrink the material.
- Heat guns – another type of low-volume shrink wrapping device that is similar to a hair dryer, are heavy-duty handheld units that usually produce more air velocity and greater heat than a hair dryer. Heat guns are used extensively in small to mid-sized companies.
- Vacuum sealers – do exactly what the name implies: they remove air from the packaging bag and create a vacuum seal. Vacuum systems use bags.
- Sleeve wrappers – wrap a product with a “curtain” of material and seal it, leaving a large hole at the top. Typically, companies use this method to wrap in-cabinet appliances such as dishwashers and clothes dryers. Sleeve wrapping also facilitates product stacking, because it doesn’t leave a seam “weld” on top of the unit that might create an unstable stacking situation. This type of machine typically uses shrink wrap film on rolls.
- Continuous band sealers – Come in vertical, horizontal, or tilted configurations. They typically have an embossing wheel that stamps alphanumeric information into the sealing material. They are usually expensive; however, they’re fast and efficient and used extensively to seal food and beverage products in various size bags.
Benefits of shrink wrapping
Shrink wrap can prove to be beneficial to daily business functions:
Shrink wrapping products can decrease costs versus traditional packaging methods.
- Extra storage space and cost is saved because of the small volume and light weight of the wrap.
- The wrap guards against dirt and humidity, saving the product from spoiling.
- Shrink wrap can be stored in all climates.
- Printed shrink wrap can increase marketing and brand awareness.
- Approximately 75% fewer materials are needed in contrast to traditional packaging techniques.
- Many large warehouses and retailers require shrink packaging due to these benefits.
Shrink wrap machines may not be ideal for small businesses starting out, but for established businesses who regularly ship, they can be an added asset in helping save money and improve your bottom line.
With these tips, your shipment will be ready for shipment. Using a freight service company such as Freight-Specialist. We recommend that you consult with us prior to having your shipment scheduled for pickup if you have any doubts or concerns.