Georgia’s Freight Economy
Georgia has a large manufacturing sector that produces and ships a variety of commodities, therefore requiring trucking transport services. Georgia’s biggest city, Atlanta is a major freight trucking hub. A recent freight and logistics report showed that 18% of Georgia’s GDP is centered around the freight shipping industry. Below we have compiled Georgia’s most shipped freight and the types of trucks and modes available. From flatbed shipping to rail freight transport we look at the numbers at what makes freight such an important part of Georgia’s economy.
Freight Shipped In Georgia By The Numbers
As shown below mixed freight is Georgia’s most shipped commodity within the state. We can see by the chart that Georgia consumers have a myriad of needs. Of these commodities the vast majority, over 60% of are shipped by freight transportation companies. Over the road trucks is the main method of transport within Georgia.
- Mixed Freight is Georgia’s most shipped commodity
- Motorized Vehicles account for $21 million dollars of commercial sales
- Electronics & Consumer Goods account for $17 million dollars in total sales
- Machinery accounts for $15 million dollars of total sales
- Textiles and leather combined also account for $15 million of total sales
Freight Shipped Out Of Georgia By The Numbers
Unlike the data for freight shipped inside Georgia, Georgia’s outbound shipments reflect differently. Georgia’s most shipped commodity for outbound truck freight shipments is motorized vehicles. This should come as no surprise seeing since Ford, General Motors, Honda and Kia all have manufacturing facilities within Georgia. Mixed freight comes in as the second most shipped freight from Georgia. It is no wonder that truck shipping rates in Georgia are steady and extremely high in the summer where produce shippers compete as well.
- Motorized vehicles sales shipped to other states account for $43 million dollars of total sales shipped
- Mixed Freight accounts for $28 million dollars of total sales shipped
- Electronics accounts for $26 million dollars of total sales shipped
- Machinery account for $25 million dollars of total sales shipped
- Pharmaceuticals accounts for $22 million dollars of total sales shipped
Freight Shipped Into Georgia By The Numbers
Interestingly Georgia’s needs for motorized vehicles and their related parts is due to the large presence of motorized vehicle production in the state. Another area of particular interest is the large need for pharmaceuticals, a clear indication of the biotech industry in Georgia. Medicine and their counterparts must often be shipped in temperature controlled trucks called reefers units. However electronic consumer goods remain the same for the three different studies done on freight activity involving Georgia.
- Motorized Vehicles account for $ 32 million dollars of inbound freight purchased
- Pharmaceuticals account for $26 million dollars of inbound freight activity
- Electronic consumer goods account for $24 million dollars of inbound freight shipments
- Plastics, a category not seen previously in the top 5 accounts for $20 million dollars
- Machinery accounts for $19 million dollars of inbound freight
Which States Trade The Most With Georgia?
Truckload Shipping From Georgia
Close to 25% of truckload freight shipping occurring from the state of Georgia is to neighboring states. For the most part, most areas with the exception of South Florida can be serviced within 1 day. This data is right in line with other data showing that most truckload shipments are under 750 miles. However, if you are located in another state do not worry since Freight-Specialist will help you get the most competitive full truckload freight quotes every time.